Thursday, October 14, 2010

Redbud Jelly Recipe

Flowers of Life, sorry it took me so long to get back here to post the recipe for Redbud Jelly. It is almost too easy to make! Something I have noticed though, is that over time, the lovely rose color fades a bit to a more orange color. Still tastes good.


Place 2 cups ( I have used up to 3 cups) of rinsed redbud flowers in a jar and barely cover with about 2 cups of boiling water. (They will float, so I push them down a couple of times.) Cover, let stand 24 hours. (After they cool off to room temperature, I stick them in the fridge.) Strain and discard blossoms.

To 2 cups of the extract, add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, and 3 Tablespoons of Sure Jell powdered pectin. Bring to a boil and add 2 cups sugar and bring back to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

10 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Hi there! I found your blog through another that I read - Love this redbud jelly. I never heard tell!

Flowers of Life said...

Thank you so much,now I can hardly wait for spring to come so I can give it a try

Anonymous said...

Spring is here! Thanks for the recipe on Red Bud Jelly. They are in full bloom here in Tennessee. Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

I have found that the color fades with time but if is kept in refrigerator the color remains beautiful.

Unknown said...

I can't wait until spring, so me and my Daddy can make some jelly. We like finding different jellies to make. I haven't ever heard of it. Thank you!

SuzJ said...

What does it taste like?

Anonymous said...

I am making violet jelly and dandelion jelly, both are a first for me this year, and they call for liquid pectin. I wonder if that might be the key to keeping the color from fading?

Unknown said...

I use liquid pectin for freezer jam and the color always stays beautifully bright!

Unknown said...

Off to strip some Redbud branches and make some tea and jelly, fun!

Unknown said...

How long does it take for the jelly to set up?