Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Weekend

Today I canned 10 pints of Chili Seasoning using our tomatoes. In cold weather we eat Chili at least once a week. To make Chili using this, you brown a 1/2 to 1 pound of ground beef, (we use venison) and add a can of pinto or kidney beans. I hope to make a few more pints. I also want to make several pints of spaghetti sauce while the tomatoes are producing.

L, to answer your question, I blanch the whole ears for 6 or 7 minutes, cool in a clean sink of ice water, cut the corn off with a corn cutter like Mom has. Then I put 2 cups in a freezer bag and freeze. (there are only the two of us to eat it here). It doesn't have time to get any freezer burn. I sometimes add 1/4 cup of water to it to reheat it. It tastes like it just came from the garden.

The treehouse is built into a huge oak tree. If you can come up here and bring him with you, we will go to the tree house for him to explore to his hearts content. We will make it a picnic or something. It could be a 'field trip' for him.

E. has been using the bush hog to mow the pastures and twice now he has run over a yellow jackets nest and gotten stung. The first time he got 9 stings and the second nest he ran over he only got one, but it was on his ear, and the itching is driving him buggy. Oh well, one of the hazards of summer mowing I guess.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

You are the "Canning Maven"! My hats off to you - you are well stocked for winter. I wish I had the knowledge and time to do what you do.