Friday, February 22, 2008


Yesterday, we had some really nasty weather here. We already had about an inch of snow, but during the day yesterday it started to snow a little, soon turned to sleet with some rain. Temperature was 19 degrees. I usually work from 8:00 to 3:30. I always worry about our three horses when the weather is bad and I'm at work. Their lot is seperate from the barn, across the driveway.

The horses have a large run in shed at the north end of their lot, and their heated water tank is at the south end of the lot. When the ground is frozen they don't want to walk all the way down through those frozen hoofprints to drink. They will once a day, but don't drink as often as they should. And what is the shed for? To keep them out of the weather if they so choose. But if the weather is nasty, they almost always stand outside in what ever weather we are having. We have a hay feeder in the shed and they will eat their hay, even take naps laying down in the shed. But let the weather turn ugly and they stand outside!

After putting them inside, and giving them a slice of hay, Katie gave me a warm, whiskery kiss. Made it all worth it. Frozen fingers, heavy winter clothes, cold feet, the whole winter thing. Have I mentioned that I hate winter?

When I arrived home they were outside, had icicles hanging on their whiskers, manes, everywhere. They looked at me with hope and anticipation to "get us out of here!" Of course I did, but that is the reason we built the shed, right?

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Aaaahhhhh, whiskery kisses! So sublime!

Funny how horses either can't figure out to get out of the weather, or just aren't bothered by it much.

Lisa said...

I wonder if standing outside in "bad weather" is like us playing in the rain?? Who can better appreciate the beauty of nature than nature itself.

Strawberry Lane said...

The icicles on their whiskers ... now that got me!

Love those kisses!

Trail Riding Cowgirl said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, stop in any time! My horses won't go in the barn in crappy weather either, but I feel better knowing they could if they wanted to.