Monday, February 23, 2009

Another Hint of Spring?

I found something else peeking out of the cold, wet ground! My elephant garlic is about 4 inches high! Trying to grow right through the snow. That stuff must be pretty hardy!
Today when I got home from workat 3:50 PM, I got the bowl of bread dough from the fridge and pulled off a grapefruit sized ball of dough. I tucked the ragged ends underneath it and plopped it on a cornmeal dusted flat cookie sheet. I let it raise 1 hour, then baked it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes and we had fresh bread with our Chicken Noodle Soup that I made yesterday. It was just tooooo tasty! And sooooo easy! There is one little trick though. The first 10 to 15 minutes after you put it in the oven, you cover it with a metal bowl or an aluminum lasagna pan, to trap the steam. Then you remove it and let it bake. Yummo!

1 comment:

Lois said...

I just have to brag a little, my crocus are blooming, have been for a week. I'm a tad farther south ya know. Hey, did you notice your little white snow bird in your first picture? Look on the lower left, it's just a blob of snow but is shaped like a bird, complete with a little black eye.