Sunday, October 16, 2011

Any one for Wild Grape Syrup on your pancakes?

A couple of weeks ago, Sarah, Mom and I picked a 4 gallon bucket of wild grapes that were hanging from a tree, out over the roof of the horses run-in shed. Like a monkey, Sarah went up on the ladder to the roof and actually picked them for me! I spent the whole next morning picking the grapes, (they were tiny!) off of the stems. This is the yummy result. It made six,  8 oz jars of jelly, and two of these of syrup. It really smelled good while cooking and tastes wonderful, much better than store bought jelly. It is more grapey, I think. Now, if I could just find more wild grapes!
Last week, I went to Mom and Dads and came home with a couple of five gallon buckets of winter pears. I wrapped the best ones to ripen just for  eating, but the rest of them are slowly being made into Pear Conserve, thanks to Granny Sue at:
http://grannysu.blogspot.com/2008/12/spiced-pear-conserve.html


This isn't as thick as jam, maybe like a thick syrup, but it is soooo good. I can see why she hoards it for special occasions! It would sure taste good on pancakes or biscuits! Have made two batches, and will make more as the pears ripen.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh to be young and limber like Sarah again! LOL I totally agree that wild and free tastes so much better. Love your syrup bottle. Did syrup come in it originally? Good to hear from you. :) Love ya!

Rachel said...

Oh you are making me hungry now,cant wait to taste it at our campout.

Bluebird74 said...

Yes,Sharon please bring some to the "Cabin" we will have to have pancakes for breakfast!!
What are you talking about Jeanie, you talk like you are old or something :)

Jeanie said...

....or something! LOL ;)

Farm Girl said...

Hi Jeanie, no the syrup bottle was one I had saved from a few years ago. We bought it with Hickory Syrup in it, from Hickory Works. Someone gave Ed a recipe for Hickory Syrup so Ed made some and it was really good. Too bad it is all gone. Maybe I can get him to make some more.

Bluebird74 said...

Sharon, I have my hickory bark ready to make syrup when you get Ed to make some more I want to make some too! I need someone to tell me how though. Did you find your recipe on the napkin yet?