Monday, December 05, 2011

Things to Do On a Rainy Day

Rain, rain, rain! It rained all day yesterday, all last night and  all day today! Mud is the name of the game! So what to do on such an icky day? Make soup! I made a big pot of Hamburger Vegetable Soup, and fresh homemade rolls to go with it!
I used a recipe called Buttermilk Pan Rolls that was in my Best of Country Cooking 2003 cookbook. Since the recipe said they can be made very quickly, I thought I would give them a try for supper. They only have one rise, for 30 minutes and they were very easy to make and quick too! I would highly recommend these tasty, tender rolls. As you can see, I used my Kitchenaid Mixer, but they were hand mixed in the recipe. One other thing I did was use instant yeast instead of the Active Dry that the recipe called for, because I wanted to dump everything in at once and not have to use another bowl to soften yeast!
Rising and almost ready to bake!
These were absolutely delicious! And they went perfectly with the hot soup! By the way, I made these yesterday and this morning I made something even more tasty! And it paired perfectly with a good cup of hot coffee!

4 comments:

Lois said...

wish I had your get-up-and go. I'll bee all too glad when school is DONE. GOOD LOOKING SOUP AND ROLLS. My soup turned out yucky.

Jeanie said...

Oh that makes me hungry for Mom's Hamburger Cabbage Soup! The rolls look divine. I Googled the recipe and it does look easy, thanks for sharing!
I think you sent that rain our way! ;)

Farm Girl said...

Jeanie, I did have cabbage in my soup. I think it adds a lot to a pot of Hamburger Soup.
I hope you needed all that rain. It left its calling card in several inches of MUD, which the horses and I HATE!

Bluebird74 said...

Sharon will you please give me that soup recipe, thank you, and every thing looks good. Wish I could come over for supper!