Friday, February 24, 2006

Yesterday was such a beautiful day! It warmed up enough that the trees started running again. I walked down the hill with two empty 4 gallon buckets and had to make three trips to get all the buckets on the trees emptied. One of them was running over!

It was so quiet down in the woods.The air was warm, and the sun was shining brightly. There was not a single sound of civilization! Only the wind, softly blowing in the tree tops, the birds were talking and singing. It was peaceful and relaxing.

I started the syrup boiling and kept it going hard all day. Since the raccoon has decided to visit the barn and steal catfood, we bring the unfinished syrup in the house for the night. We have had problems with the coons before. The previous owners did also. We have trapped several and taken them miles away and released them, but it hasn't made a dent in their population.
Last summer we had a momma and 4 babies up in the loft, and we would see them frequently. The babies weren't very afraid of us. We could come within 1o feet of them. They are very curious. But they are messy and leave piles of poop on the hay and anywhere else they happen to spend any time. Nasty!!

I made a big pan of fried cabbage for supper. I love that stuff. I could eat it three times a day. Ed's family never cooked it that way before and he didn't think he would like it, but was he surprised! He went back twice to get more! Also grilled pork chops, and made a cheesy broccoli cauliflower dish in the crockpot. Good!


Farm Girl said...

Lois, you aked how much we have made already? So far, 13 pints. One batch was a tad over cooked, (my thermometer was off, I found) so that one may develope sugar crstals in the jars. Doesn't hurt anything, just doesn't look pretty. Doesn't affect the taste at all either. I've even eaten the lumps of sugar, a couple of times. I try not to do the syrup that way, but sometimes it happens.

Ruth said...

Makes you glad you are not stuck in an office or factory for 9 hours a day, doesn't it?