Friday, March 03, 2006

It is cold and gray this morning. I don't know what to do with myself this morning, with no maple syrup cooking! The sap has started to look cloudy when it comes out of the trees, so that is a sign that it is time to quit. I think the warm weather that we had last week has something to do with it. Anyway...it was fun while it lasted! We made 30 pints of syrup. Some batches are better than others. The later in the season the darker the syrup, it seems. But I like the dark syrup it has more body and taste. There is something in the sap of the maple trees, that when you cook it down, it collects in the syrup. It is called 'sugar sand'. It really is only a collection of minerals and stuff like that. But it doesn't look very good in the jars. Large commercial sugaring companies have ways of filtering it out, but us 'backyard' sugaring companies have to try whatever works. So doing a lot of reading on the internet, I have followed recommended methods of removing it this way, I strain the boiling syrup through a piece of felt with a layer of flannel on top of it. That does a good job, but there is still a small amount in the jars. It doesn't effect the taste at all. I can live with that for my pancakes and waffles!

Lois, here is the recipe you were looking for. It is in one of the 'comments' on Ruths blog.
Ruth, no, it didn't come from a health cookbook. I just looked for one that didn't have a pound of powdered sugar, and lots of butter, and other stuff. Most of them made a huge pan full, and I looked for one that made a reasonable amount! All those leftovers just go to waist!

BANANA SPLIT CAKE
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, room temperature,
1 c. powdered sugar
5 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 bananas
1 sm. can crushed pineapple, drained
8 oz. Cool Whip

Mix graham cracker crumbs with butter and pat into 8 inch square dish for crust.
Cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk together. Spread over crust.
Slice bananas over cream cheese mixture.
Put drained pineapple over bananas.
Spread with Cool Whip. Refrigerate.
Serve in squares and put a maraschino cherry on each one.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Sorry, Sharon. 2 great minds running in the same direction and at the same time, at that!

I didn't know you were reposting the recipe but that's okay, it's a good recipe.

Any more news on a new job? just wondering what you heard.

Yvonne said...

Recipe sounds great! I'll have to make it soon. Congratulations on the successful syrup run! I'm off work today and bored, too. I'll bake something later to bring to Bunco tonight - then....I have no idea what.

Farm Girl said...

No, I haven't heard anything about the job. Will give her the weekend, then...

Rachel said...

Since you dont have a job,you could go with me to Jacksonville Fl. Im leaving Monday about 8:00. Ill look on the map to see how far it is from Andrea, cant go to Florida without visiting the grandbaby.

Lois said...

THanks for the recipe, again.

I can't imagine not knowing what to do with one's self. I have enough to do to keep you busy, come on down.

How did you end up cleaning your burnt syrup pan?